Sean Jez : 713-305-4481
Oaks Dads Club (ODC) located at 3410 E. TC Jester. The cook-off site is located on Field 1 (MAIN FIELD) and 2
1. PRIZES – Prizes for all cooking categories will include a trophy for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.
2. REGISTRATION DATES – Early bird registration open until 1/19 and regular registration open until 1/25. All teams are required to pay entry fees at time of registration.
3. SPACE - Each team will be responsible for the cook space assigned by ODC with your teams needs in mind. All equipment (and tents) must be contained within this area. The size of a cook space is 20’x 20’. SPOT ASSIGNMENTS - Spots will be assigned by ODC on a first come, first served basis.
A cook team shall consist of one (1) head cook and four (4) assistant cooks.
Props, trailers, motor homes, tents, covering or any other part of contestant’s or team's equipment must not exceed the boundaries of the assigned space.
One cooking pit & vehicle will be allowed per space.
Teams may not extend, under any circumstances, into any utility alleys created between, behind or beside team spaces. All power alleys and easements must be left clear and open at all times, including during move-in
A team representative must be present while a tent is being erected to ensure the tent is placed correctly in the space. If a tent is set up outside a team's allocated space, the team bears all responsibility to ensure correction of tent placement.
Personal “pop up tents” are preferred. Stakes to secure these type of tents must not exceed 8 inches long to avoid potential water and/or electrical line damage.
If a tent company is being used to setup tent, the ODC BBQ Committee must be made aware by 1/10.
4. TEAMS & ARRIVAL –Contestants may check in at the ODC Clubhouse beginning at 3pm on 1/25 (2pm for Early Bird Reg.) but MUST be in place by 6:00 PM on 1/25. As of 6:00 PM on 1/25 until 3:00 PM on 1/26 all vehicles on your site must remain parked and must be contained in the perimeter of your lot. We do not allow RV’s or campers. No vehicles will be allowed in or out after 6pm on 1/25.
5. CLEAN UP- All contestants will be responsible for cleaning up following event. These items include but are not limited to returning trash cans, picking up food remains, disposing of grease, etc. All grease drippings are to be properly disposed of in grease barrels provided by ODC.
6. COOKED ON SITE –All meats will be prepped and cooked on-site, without pre-cooking or marinating.
7. SANITATION – Cooks are to prepare and cook in as sanitary a manner as possible. Cooking conditions are subject to inspection by the ODC BBQ Committee.
8. BBQ PITS/FIRES – Fires must be charcoal, wood or wood substance. Contestants must take all precautions necessary to prevent fire hazards. All fires must be contained in a suitable manner. Contestants may be disqualified if precautionary measures are not followed or unsafe conditions exist. Teams must have a working fire extinguisher at their cook site. Holes or dug pits are not permitted. Any equipment or device that may cause damage to the field/area of the contest site in any way is prohibited and is subject to approval by the ODC BBQ Committee.
9. SELLING-Teams shall not sell any BBQ and no to-go plates will be allowed.
Judging criteria- entries are judged on the following categories; flavor, smell, appearance, and texture.
11. JUDGES – A minimum of five (5) judges per table will be utilized during initial judging. Subsequent levels of judging will utilize a minimum of seven (7) or a maximum of nine (9) judges per table. Judging panels are comprised of ODC sponsors and supporters who are not cook-off competition participants. Head Cooks are prohibited to participate as judges.
12. JUDGING CONTAINERS AND CONTENTS – Approved containers will be provided during the team captain meeting on 1/25 by ODC BBQ committee and are the only containers entries will be submitted in. The Head Judge will let you know the exact quantities and cuts of meat that will be placed in judging container. This will normally be accomplished at the team captain meeting. The Head Judge or designated representative will inspect all containers at the time of turn-in in order to assure compliance with the turn-in criteria. No condiment, sauce, foil or garnishes are permitted for brisket, chicken, and ribs, as they do not reflect true quality of the cooked meats. Meats may be cooked with sauces, but once cooking is complete, sauces cannot be added before the meat is placed in the judging container.
13. TURN-IN TIME – Turn-in times (on page 1) for each category shall be pre-set – but may be changed at the BBQ committee’s discretion. Once this time is set and/or announced no changes will be made. A turn-in window of five (5) minutes before and after the set turn-in time will be recognized. Entries received after that time will not be accepted for judging.
14. WATER AND ELECTRIC HOOK UPS –ODC does not provide a water hook up for any team’s space.
Teams can bring generators to supply the power needed for their individual cook spaces. Only whisper generators will be allowed. All generators must be placed within the 10’ aisle at the back of each cook space. Sharing a larger generator with your neighboring cook spaces is strongly encouraged.
15. SOUND – Music and/or sound equipment within your team area is allowed. However, excessive loud music and/or sounds that interfere with announcements, scheduled live bands and entertainment on stage, or which intrude upon or interfere with the comfort of fellow contestants will not be allowed or tolerated. Offenders will receive no more than 3 warnings from the contest organizers and non-compliance will be grounds for disqualification from the Cook-Off.
Each Team Captain will be responsible for the conduct and actions of their team and invited guests. Violators will be subject to disqualification and removal at the discretion of the ODC Corporate Board.
CAUSES FOR DISQUALIFICATION:
a) Excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages
b) Distribution of alcoholic beverages to anyone under the age of 21
c) Use of controlled substances
d) Foul, abusive, or unacceptable language
e) Excessive noise generated from speakers or public address systems
f) Excessive or continued complaints from teams about any of the above rule infractions
g) Disrespect of ODC volunteers and/or security personnel
Other General Club Standing Rules: