2023 - COOK TEAM INFO/RULES
1. PRIZES – Prizes for all cooking categories will include a trophy for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.
2. REGISTRATION DATES – Registration open until 1/20. Late registration will be based on availability. All teams are required to pay entry fees at time of online registration.
3. SPACE - Each team will be responsible for the cook space assigned by ODC with your teams needs in mind. All equipment (and tents) must be contained within this area. The size of a cook space is 20’x 20’. There are limited larger spots of 20’X40” for an additional $100. SPOT ASSIGNMENTS - Spots will be assigned on the day of the event 1/27 at the time of setup unless otherwise specified.
A cook team shall consist of one (1) head cook and four (4) assistant cooks.
Props, trailers, tents, covering or any other part of contestant’s or team's equipment must not exceed the boundaries of the assigned space.
One cooking pit & vehicle will be allowed per space.
Teams may not extend, under any circumstances, into any utility alleys created between, behind or beside team spaces. All power alleys and easements must be left clear and open at all times, including during move-in
A team representative must be present while a tent is being erected to ensure the tent is placed correctly in the space. If a tent is set up outside a team's allocated space, the team bears all responsibility to ensure correction of tent placement.
Personal “pop up tents” are preferred. Stakes to secure these type of tents must not exceed 8 inches long to avoid potential water and/or electrical line damage.
If a tent company is being used to setup tent, the ODC BBQ Committee must be notified by 1/20. NO EXCEPTIONS. If your tent company shows up and ODC was not notified by 1/20, they will not be able to setup.
4. TEAMS & ARRIVAL –Contestants may check in at the ODC Clubhouse beginning at 3pm on 1/27 and MUST be in place by 6:00 PM on 1/27. All vehicles on your site must remain parked and must be contained in the perimeter of your lot. We do not allow RV’s or campers on the field.
5. CLEAN UP- All contestants will be responsible for cleaning up following event. These items include but are not limited to returning trash cans, picking up food remains, disposing of grease, etc. All grease drippings are to be properly disposed of in grease barrels provided by ODC.
6. COOKED ON SITE –All meats will be prepped and cooked on-site, without pre-cooking or marinating.
7. SANITATION – Cooks are to prepare and cook in as sanitary a manner as possible. Cooking conditions are subject to inspection by the ODC BBQ Committee.
8. BBQ PITS/FIRES – Fires must be charcoal or wood. No electric grills will be permitted. The use of Traeger grills or the like is expressly prohibited. Contestants must take all precautions necessary to prevent fire hazards. All fires must be contained in a suitable manner. Contestants may be disqualified if precautionary measures are not followed or unsafe conditions exist. Teams must have a working fire extinguisher at their cook site. Holes or dug pits are not permitted. Any equipment or device that may cause damage to the field/area of the contest site in any way is prohibited and is subject to approval by the ODC BBQ Committee.
9. SELLING-Teams shall not sell any BBQ and no to-go plates will be allowed.
Judging criteria- entries are judged on the following categories; flavor, smell, appearance, and texture.
11. JUDGES – A minimum of five (5) judges per table will be utilized during initial judging. Subsequent levels of judging will utilize a minimum of seven (7) or a maximum of nine (9) judges per table. Judging panels are comprised of ODC sponsors and supporters who are not cook-off competition participants. Head Cooks are prohibited to participate as judges.
12. JUDGING CONTAINERS AND CONTENTS – Approved containers will be provided during the team captain meeting on 1/27 by ODC BBQ committee and are the only containers entries will be submitted in. The Head Judge will let you know the exact quantities and cuts of meat that will be placed in judging container. This will normally be accomplished at the team captain meeting. The Head Judge or designated representative will inspect all containers at the time of turn-in in order to assure compliance with the turn-in criteria. No condiment, sauce, foil or garnishes are permitted for brisket, chicken, and ribs, as they do not reflect true quality of the cooked meats. Meats may be cooked with sauces, but once cooking is complete, sauces cannot be added before the meat is placed in the judging container.
13. TURN-IN TIME – Turn-in times (see schedule) for each category shall be pre-set – but may be changed at the BBQ committee’s discretion. Once this time is set and/or announced no changes will be made. A turn-in window of five (5) minutes before and after the set turn-in time will be recognized. Entries received after that time will not be accepted for judging.
14. WATER AND ELECTRIC HOOK UPS –ODC does NOT provide a water or ELECTRICAL hook up for any team’s space.
Teams can bring generators to supply the power needed for their individual cook spaces. Only whisper generators will be allowed. All generators must be placed within the 10’ aisle at the back of each cook space. Sharing a larger generator with your neighboring cook spaces is strongly encouraged.
15. SOUND – Music and/or sound equipment within your team area is allowed. However, excessive loud music and/or sounds that interfere with announcements, scheduled live bands and entertainment on stage, or which intrude upon or interfere with the comfort of fellow contestants will not be allowed or tolerated. Offenders will receive no more than 3 warnings from the contest organizers and non-compliance will be grounds for disqualification from the Cook-Off.
Each Team Captain will be responsible for the conduct and actions of their team and invited guests. Violators will be subject to disqualification and removal at the discretion of the ODC Corporate Board.
CAUSES FOR DISQUALIFICATION:
Excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages
Distribution of alcoholic beverages to anyone under the age of 21
Use of controlled substances
Foul, abusive, or unacceptable language
Excessive noise generated from speakers or public address systems
Excessive or continued complaints from teams about any of the above rule infractions
Disrespect of ODC volunteers and/or security personnel
Other General Club Standing Rules:
Registration and payment must be completed online. Additional categories not included at time of registration can be added at the cook team meeting on 1/27.
Team Site Lead